Thursday, September 4, 2008

And the winner is.....

Let me preface this entry by saying that I try to be fair in politics. While I have aligned myself with the Republican values since as long as I can remember, I try to be "fair and balanced" if I can take from the Fox news motto. I havent always voted Republican just for the sake of voting for my party. I research, read and listen to what the other candidates say because I do have the best interest of our country at heart. So before I give my 2 cents on last night, let me tell you that I watched every second of the DNC in Denver. I listened objectively to all the speeches. I watched the spectacle and therefore whatever I have to say about the RNC IS NOT based soley on support for the party. Its an actual side by side comparison. I spend so much time trying to prove the hypocracy of the media that I dont want to fall victim to it myself. So here goes.....

Last night I was moved for the first time in a long time. Speeches are always rousing and we feel all warm and fuzzy for the next day but then its back to the same old afterwards. Not this time. Sarah Palin is the business! She delivered and I wont be suprised when next week the polls show a huge lead over Obama. Palin is the breath of fresh air that we neededed and by we I mean the disenfranchised Republicans who are embarrassed by the failures of the Bush admininstration and who kind of felt lost. She re-energized the party and lit the fire under our asses so to speak. Palin envoked a range of emotions in me during her speech. I actually cheered at one point and sounded like Howard Dean "wheeew" and shed some tears and I got the chills a few times. All signs leading to an effective speech. And when it was over, I looked at Jeff, who was smiling too and said "she just won it". It's been a long time since I have been this excited about a candidate.

She appealled to everyone both men and women. To the women she is what we always knew women in power could be-both a mom and able to hang with the men. I see her standing up to evil dictators and then turning around and changing a diaper. She is more of a woman than Hillary, who I always joke about having an adams apple. We can all relate to her. Women of all backgrounds, marital status and career level can relate to her. She is like the Dolly Parton of politics. She is a bigger than life figure, but looking at her and hearing her speak you think you could sit down for a cup of coffee with her and be bff's. At the same time I saw the look on Newt Gingrige's face a few times. I think he and some other powerful men were covering thier crotches in fear because she is a ball buster. She went after the Dems like a mother fending off an attack on her young...and between the lines thats what she did. She did it through humor and it was effective.

I loved hearing her talk about her accomplishments in Alaska and not afraid to call Obama what he really is...inexperienced. She proved my point that if the media cant get thier candidate elected on merit and accomplishment, then they resort to lies and striking fear into the hearts of voters. She talked about how as a mayor and govenor she was responsable for things that Obama can only talk about. And I LOVE that one of the ways she cut wasteful spending was to put the Executive jet on Ebay!!! I can go on and on about what else I liked about it or about the fact that there was 6 minutes of thunderous applause for her after the speech NOT included the roar when McCain came out on stage, but I am at work and have to do what they pay me to. But today at work I hold my head a little bit higher and with my chest out a little more because while all these people are Obama supporters, I can feel nationwide that she knocked the wind out of thier sails. People know that it may not be cool in Hollywood to vote Republican for whatever reason, but for the good of the nation its whats important! Take that Perez Hilton!

And one last thing before I go earn my paycheck....I thought the fact that her whole family came out and Bristol sat there with her boyfriend knowing that all cameras were focused on her and everyone was watching and judging and she did it with dignity and grace. Her boyfriend looks like a douche bag and was chewing gum but I think he got the enormity of what was happening. Piper is so damn cute I want to adopt her! So congratualtions to the Palin family and to McCain for making the right choice. More later when I can get to it.

1 comment:

SteinerFM said...

well said michelle :)