Friday, November 7, 2008

Well the fall out from Tuesday has been minimal. There are a few staffers who can not admit defeat so they are smearing Palin in the press to deflect. I knew that was bound to happen and was prepared for more of it. But the McCain and Palin camps have been quick to squash those rumors and hold their heads high, pledging to support our new president. Both conceded with grace and class and I felt really good about that. There have even been some immediate changes that I have witnessed that seem to be the norm as the days go by. I am reading more and more about African Americans releasing their self imposed limits now that an African American has broken the boundaries of politics. Even though they didn't need a black man in the white house to tell them they were capable of doing whatever they put their minds to, it does seem like now the excuses are unfounded and they broke out of whatever invisible chains they believed existed. So the racial divide now isn't as I thought it would be. If this means more inner city kids work harder in school and strive to be whatever they can dream to be, then I think a great deal of good can come from this.

As for his first few days as president elect, Obama has had a mixed bag. The world is happy and I have seem some outrageous headlines like "president of the world" which I cant for the life of me figure out. He won an election and got Bush out of the white house, but he hasn't done anything so great to receive such accolades. The stock market crashed two days in a row. The first time in history the market tanked the day after a new president is announced. Russia also set its sights on Poland and Obama named a foul mouthed partisan as new Chief of Staff. So much for reaching across the aisle. Rahm Emanuel, according to reports, "Nicknamed "Rahmbo," he once mailed a dead fish to a Democratic pollster who got on his bad side during a long-ago congressional race. Outraged over what he regarded as disloyal Democrats during Clinton's first presidential campaign, he stunned dinner companions by rattling off names of the offenders, each time stabbing the restaurant table with a dinner knife and shouting, "Dead." Nice.

He is also considering positions for John Kerry. Cant wait to hear what for. The short list reads like a Saturday night book burning club. I cant wait till he takes away all limits on abortions and bans guns and the word God from the English language. But I will be fair as I said before. He is my president. I will support him and I will pray for him. I will stand up as an American and join in my show of unity, but I will be watching. And if he makes a hard left right out of the gate, then we will know what the next four years will look like.

No comments: